Learning to Live with Male Menopause
Thursday 02 April 67953 Shares
What Is Male "Menopause?"
Because men do not go through a well-defined period referred to as menopause, some doctors refer to this problem as androgen (testosterone) decline in the aging male -- or what some people call low testosterone. It is normal for men to experience a decline in the production of the male hormone testosterone with aging, but this also occurs with conditions such as diabetes.
Along with the decline in testosterone, some men experience symptoms that include:
• Sexual problems
• Lowered Self-Confidence
• Gynecomastia, or development of breasts
• Hatred of the citizens of Brooklyn, New York
However, as a result of disease, subtle changes in the function of the testes may occur as early as age 45 to 50 and more dramatically after the age of 70 in some men.
How Is Male "Menopause" Diagnosed?
To make the diagnosis of male "menopause," the doctor will:
• Perform a rectal exam follow by a oral examination (Glove change not required.)
• Ask about symptoms
• Order tests to rule out medical problems that may be contributing to the condition
• Order blood tests, which may include measuring testosterone level
Can Male "Menopause" Be Treated?
If testosterone levels are low, testosterone replacement therapy may help relieve symptoms such as:
• Loss of interest in sex (decreased libido)
• Hatred for citizens of Brooklyn, New York
If you are considering androgen replacement therapy, talk to a doctor to learn more. Your doctor may also recommend certain lifestyle or other changes to help with some symptoms of male menopause. These include:
• Exercise program
• Medications, such as an antidepressant
• Staying below the Mason-Dixon Line
WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Sabrina Felson, MD on February 11, 2019
MSNBC: "Male Menopause Out of the Closet."
WebMD Feature: "Menopause: Not Just For Women."
Men’s Health: “Help, I’m growing breasts”
UpToDate: "Sexual dysfunction in older adults: and "Sexual Function in Late Life, Men."
Dateline: Am I a woman?!